The following press release was provided to the Mission Hills BID and Mission Hills Parking Advisory Committee from the City of San Diego’s Communications Department:
City of San Diego Helping Businesses Meet Accessibility Standards During COVID-19 Pandemic
GRANT MONEY AVAILABLE FOR BUSINESSES TO BUILD ADA COMPLIANT DECKS AND PLATFORMS UNDER OUTDOOR BUSINESS OPERATION GUIDELINES
SAN DIEGO – In an effort to improve accessibility and support businesses dealing with the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of San Diego is now offering $3,000 grants to help build decks and platforms that comply with standards outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Grant funding will be allocated to qualified businesses looking to construct new decks and platforms or modify existing ones to bring them into ADA compliance. The grant program complements the City’s Temporary Outdoor Business Operation permitting program launched in June 2020, which makes it easier for businesses to expand into the public right of way allowing for outdoor operations and physical distancing. Businesses were permitted to set up dining and retail space temporarily in the street, sidewalk and parking lanes if they complied with ADA and other regulations.
“We have dedicated a small team of economic development professionals to guide businesses through the grant application as well as related state and local compliance,” said Christina Bibler, director of the Economic Development Department. “San Diego businesses are doing everything they can to survive and it’s the City’s job to support them whenever possible.”
The grants may be used to cover the cost of labor and materials including ramps, framing materials, railings, and hiring a civil or structural engineer to produce plans, among other allowable uses. The City will also be covering permitting fees until funds are depleted.
As an additional incentive, businesses located in low- and moderate-income areas or owned by low- and moderate-income persons can be eligible for up to $5,000 in funding and expedited grant processing.
To qualify for grant funding, businesses must meet the following qualifications:
- Be located in the City of San Diego, with loan funds to be spent at that location.
- Have a valid City of San Diego Business Tax Certificate.
- Have five or fewer locations.
- Be independently owned and operated.
- Not be a lobbying, lending, investment, insurance company, a golf course, racetrack, gambling facility, retail location selling alcoholic beverages for consumption primarily off site or a business engaged in performance or sales of products of a sexual nature.
- Not be a nonprofit organization.
- Be able to provide a written description articulating a plan for the establishment or modification of operations to comply, modify or improve compliance with ADA regulations.
- Not be engaged in any illegal activity per local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
For more information on the grant program and outdoor business operations, please visit sandiego.gov/TOBOgrant.