Scheduled Water Service Interruptions (February 28 & March 1) and Upcoming Completion of Night Work on Washington St
The following information was provided to the Mission Hills BID from the City of San Diego Public Works Department regarding the University Avenue Pipeline Replacement Project.
Contractors are working hard to complete this project in a timely manner with the least impact to neighborhoods. It is advised to be cognizant of potential parking disruptions when planning your routes.
You are subscribed to receive construction updates on the University Avenue Pipeline Replacement Project. This project will take place in the Mission Hills, Uptown, Hillcrest, University Heights and North Park areas of San Diego, with work occurring in phases at particular locations along the alignment of the project.
HERE’S WHAT’S HAPPENING:
As a part of the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) project to replace the water mains in your community, the crews are continuing water service interruption activities on Washington Street. These activities are taking place in the areas listed below in blue on the days and during the hours mentioned. Should additional water service interruptions in the Washington Street area be necessary, impacted areas will be notified in advance.
Once water service interruption activities are completed, additional nighttime activities will be conducted including service connections and base paving. The night work on Washington Street is expected to be completed by Friday, March 11, 2016.**
Please note: the contractor will return to the Washington Street area in the near future to perform final improvements including pedestrian curb-ramps, slurry seal and striping.
The fire hydrants installed on Washington Street as a part of this project have been connected and activated and are now “live”.
WATER SERVICE WILL BE TEMPORARILY INTERRUPTED ON SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 28, BETWEEN 10 P.M. AND 6 A.M.**
- Washington Street between Albatross Street and First Avenue (on the north side of Washington Street only)
- Albatross Street between Lewis and Washington Streets (on the east side of Albatross Street only)
- Alley between Albatross and Front Streets (at Washington Street and north to Lewis Street).
- Front Street between Washington and Lewis Streets.
- Alley between Front Street and First Avenue (at Washington Street and north to Lewis Street).
- First Avenue between Lewis and Washington Streets (on the west side of First Avenue only).
WATER SERVICE WILL BE TEMPORARILY INTERRUPTED ON TUESDAY, March 1, BETWEEN 10 P.M. AND 6 A.M.**
- Washington Street between First and Fourth Avenues (on the north side of Washington Street only).
- First Avenue between Lewis and Washington Streets (on the east side of First Avenue only).
- Alley between First and Third Avenues (at Washington Street and north Lewis Street).
- Third Avenue between Washington and Lewis Streets.
- Alley between Third and Fourth Avenues (at Washington Street and north to Lewis Street).
- Fourth Avenue between Lewis and Washington Streets (on the west side of Fourth Avenue only).
**Special note: If rain occurs prior to a scheduled water service outage, the work will take place on the next dry day. If there is a change of schedule, you will receive a door hanger about 24 hours in advance with the new schedule.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while work progresses on this project. Every provision will be taken to quickly and efficiently complete the work.
WHAT TO EXPECT
During construction, anticipate temporary inconveniences. Please exercise caution in the work zone and note that:
- Access to homes and emergency vehicles will be maintained at all times;
- There may be temporary traffic rerouting and other access restrictions during this work;
- Staged pipe, fittings, equipment and storage containers will be located along the work zone;
- When required, temporary “No Parking” signs will be posted 48 hours before construction activities start;
- Vehicles parked in violation of signs will be towed; and
- Road closures, detours and restricted access will occur between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.*
NORMAL HOURS AND DAYS OF OPERATION
Sunday through Thursday nights, 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.*
*Hours may vary based on traffic impacts.
PARKING NOTICES TO BE AWARE OF:
Yellow “No Parking” signs will be used for night work.
Orange “No Parking” signs will be used for day work.
For illustration purposes only
White “No Parking” signs will be used for day and night work.
For illustration purposes only
This Capital Improvement Program (CIP) project will replace about four miles of old, deteriorating, cast iron water mains with new Polyvinyl-Chloride (PVC) pipes. PVC pipes offer improved service reliability and a longer service life. Improvements also include new valves, fire hydrants and installation of curb ramps that facilitate access for persons with disabilities. In addition, streets that have been excavated as part of this work will be slurry sealed as phases are completed. Any areas of vegetation or landscaping that are affected will be replaced. Construction of this infrastructure project is expected to last about three years.
Please encourage your neighbors to join our mailing list and use the Forward feature to pass along this important information!
For questions related to this project,